Charity Colliery, Peckett W4 Class, 0-4-0ST, ‘Forest No. 1’ – Era 2 Item Code: R3680
The Peckett W Class was a classic, late Victorian, four-coupled, medium range, industrial saddletank that comprised six separate variations, from the W2 of 1884 to the W7 of 1938. Locomotives were built at the Atlas Engine Works in St. George, Bristol, Peckett & Sons Ltd having taken over the business established there by Fox, Walker & Company in 1880.
Peckett steam locos, noted for their fine rivet work on the cabs and tanks and the generous use of brass and copperwork, continued to be built at Atlas Works until June 12, 1958. Describing their core market as “Colleries, Ironworks, Contractors Tinplate Works etc.” Peckett took pride in turning their locos out in a lined Works livery and utilised many standard components in their construction, however the nature of the locomotives’ end use meant there were a number of alterations carried out, particularly as reduced height versions for operating in smelting works and collieries. Peckett were eventually bought out by Reed Crane & Hoist Company during 1961, having produced 140 W4 locomotives between April 1885 and February 1906.
Peckett Works No.484/1889 was built for William Williams & Co. of Morriston in Glamorgan, for use at the Upper Forest and Worcester Steel & Tinplate Works. Sold on via J.F Wake’s dealership to Stanley Brothers Ltd’s Charity Colliery, Forest No.1 continued in service until 1924 when the colliery closed.
Hornby is a household name and is famous as the UK’s brand leader in the model railway hobby with its high quality 00 gauge (1:76) models and accessories.
Technical Specification & Detail
|DCC Type||DCC Ready|
|Period||Era 2 (1870 – 1922)|
|Minimum Curve||1st Radius + (371mm)|
|Motor||5 Pole Skew Wound|